Primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) primarily affects female in their 4th to 6th decade of life at which stage female's sex hormones change dramatically. Sex hormones have a wide range of effects on the liver and immune system. However, it remains unclear whether sex hormonal changes mediate the onset of PBC.
This study investigated the causal effect between total testosterone (TT), bioavailable testosterone (BAT), sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) in female and PBC using public GWAS summary data.
Data on TT, BAT, SHBG in female were obtained from a previous study based on the UK Biobank. PBC GWAS summary data was obtained from a genome-wide meta-analysis. We used several methods to make the conclusion robust. Various sensitivity analyses had been conducted to assess the consistency of our findings.
Our Mendelian randomization analysis revealed that the genetically predicted BAT in female was positively associated with PBC and SHBG in female was negatively associated with PBC. The results obtained from different methods are similar, which proves the reliability of the results.
Our study supported a causal relationship of BAT and SHBG in female on PBC. To confirm the association between testosterone and PBC, more research should be conducted.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary biliary cholangitis: pathogenesis and therapeutic opportunities.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 17: 93-110
- Regional variation and temporal trend of primary biliary cholangitis epidemiology: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 36: 1423-1434
- Changes in the Epidemiology of Primary Biliary Cholangitis.Clin Liver Dis. 2018; 22: 429-441
- Current and potential treatments for primary biliary cholangitis.The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2020; 5: 306-315
- Evolving Trends in Female to Male Incidence and Male Mortality of Primary Biliary Cholangitis.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 25906
- A prospective long-term study in female from pre-menopause to post-menopause: changing profiles of gonadotrophins, oestrogens and androgens.Maturitas. 1986; 8: 297-307
- Endocrinology of menopause.Periodontol. 2013; 61 (2000): 177-194
- Estrogen receptors in cholangiocytes and the progression of primary biliary cirrhosis.J Hepatol. 2004; 41: 905-912
- Significance of oestrogen-related receptor gamma on biliary epithelial cells in the pathogenesis of primary biliary cirrhosis.J Clin Pathol. 2014; 67: 566-572
- Abnormal Expression of ERalpha in Cholangiocytes of Patients With Primary Biliary Cholangitis Mediated Intrahepatic Bile Duct Inflammation.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 2815
- The association of serum oestradiol level, age, and education with cognitive performance in peri- and late postmenopausal female.Maturitas. 2012; 71: 173-179
- A longitudinal study of the perimenopausal transition: altered profiles of steroid and pituitary hormones, SHBG and bone mineral density.Maturitas. 2008; 61: 67-77
- Testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin and free androgen index among adult female: chronological and ovarian aging.Hum Reprod. 2009; 24: 2276-2285
- Relative androgen excess during the menopausal transition predicts incident metabolic syndrome in midlife female: study of Female's Health Across the Nation.Menopause. 2009; 16: 257-264
- Relative androgen excess and increased cardiovascular risk after menopause: a hypothesized relation.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 154: 489-494
- Sex hormones in postmenopausal female with primary biliary cirrhosis.Hepatology. 1991; 13: 865-869
- Sex steroids and steroid binding proteins in primary biliary cirrhosis.J Steroid Biochem. 1989; 32: 427-431
- The UK Biobank resource with deep phenotyping and genomic data.Nature. 2018; 562: 203-209
- Using human genetics to understand the disease impacts of testosterone in men and female.Nat Med. 2020; 26: 252-258
- An international genome-wide meta-analysis of primary biliary cholangitis: novel risk loci and candidate drugs.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 572-581
- Detection of widespread horizontal pleiotropy in causal relationships inferred from Mendelian randomization between complex traits and diseases.Nat Genet. 2018; 50: 693-698
- Combining information on multiple instrumental variables in Mendelian randomization: comparison of allele score and summarized data methods.Stat Med. 2016; 35: 1880-1906
- Consistent Estimation in Mendelian Randomization with Some Invalid Instruments Using a Weighted Median Estimator.Genet Epidemiol. 2016; 40: 304-314
- Mendelian randomization with invalid instruments: effect estimation and bias detection through Egger regression.Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 512-525
- Robust inference in summary data Mendelian randomization via the zero modal pleiotropy assumption.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 1985-1998
- Interpreting findings from Mendelian randomization using the MR-Egger method.Eur J Epidemiol. 2017; : 377-389
- Testosterone and visceral fat in midlife female: the Study of Female's Health Across the Nation (SWAN) fat patterning study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010; 18: 604-610
- The impact of testosterone imbalance on depression and female's health.Maturitas. 2002; 41 (S25-46)
- Associations between serum total, free and bioavailable testosterone and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in community-dwelling middle-aged and elderly female.Diabetes Metab. 2021; 47101199
- Sex-specific associations of circulating testosterone levels with all-cause and cause-specific mortality.Eur J Endocrinol. 2021; 184: 723-732
- Hypogonadism and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Minerva Endocrinol. 2017; 42: 145-150
- Obesity and late-onset hypogonadism.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015; 418 (Pt 2): 120-133
- Androgen-induced insulin resistance is ameliorated by deletion of hepatic androgen receptor in female.Faseb j. 2021; 35: e21921
- Lung function changes over 8 years and testosterone markers in both sexes: UK Biobank.ERJ Open Res. 2020; 6
- The striking similarities in the metabolic associations of female androgen excess and male androgen deficiency.Hum Reprod. 2014; 29: 2083-2091
- In vivo effects of sex steroids on lymphocyte responsiveness and immunoglobulin levels in humans.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 1648-1657
- Epistane, an anabolic steroid used for recreational purposes, causes cholestasis with elevated levels of cholic acid conjugates, by upregulating bile acid synthesis (CYP8B1) and cross-talking with nuclear receptors in human hepatocytes.Arch Toxicol. 2020; 94: 589-607
- Androgen aggravates liver fibrosis by activation of NLRP3 inflammasome in CCl(4)-induced liver injury mouse model.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2020; 318: E817-e829
- New insights into sex differences in primary biliary cholangitis. Gender difference in primary biliary cholangitis.J Pak Med Assoc. 2022; 72: 896-900
Published online: March 13, 2023
Accepted: February 26, 2023
Received: December 7, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.