Long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) have been implicated as functional molecules in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) progression. The present research aimed to investigate the levels of LncRNA cancer susceptibility candidate gene 19 (CASC19) in HCC tissues and cell lines and to explore its potential role in the diagnosis and prognosis of HCC.
HCC tissues and cell lines were collected to assess the levels of CASC19 by real-time quantitative reverse transcription PCR (RT-qPCR). The prognostic value of CASC19 was evaluated using the Kaplan-Meier method and Cox regression analysis. The functional role of CASC19 in regulating HCC cell proliferation, migration, and invasion was evaluated by Cell Counting Kit-8 (CCK-8) and Transwell analysis. The potential targeted miR-140–5p of CASC19 was confirmed by a dual-luciferase reporter assay.
High CASC19 expression positively correlated with tumor size, differentiation, and TNM stage in HCC patients (P < 0.05). Patients with high CASC19 expression have a poorer survival prognosis and are prone to relapse compared to those with low CASC19. miR-140–5p, a target miRNA for CASC19, negatively correlated with CASC19 levels in tumor tissues. Reduced CASC19 levels attenuated cell proliferation, migration, and invasion, but this attenuation was reversed by suppression of miR-140–5p.
Up-regulated CASC19 may serve as a biomarker for predicting poor prognosis in HCC patients. In vitro, overexpressed CASC19 promoted the progression of HCC, indicating that CASC19 may be a possible therapeutic target for the treatment of HCC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Identification of prognostic genes in the tumor microenvironment of hepatocellular carcinoma.Front Immunol. 2021; 12653836
- Prognostic value of aberrantly expressed methylation genes in human hepatocellular carcinoma.Biosci Rep. 2020; 40
- Metabolism-associated molecular classification of hepatocellular carcinoma.Mol Oncol. 2020; 14: 896-913
- Multiple "Omics" data-based biomarker screening for hepatocellular carcinoma diagnosis.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 4199-4212
- The diagnostic and prognostic value of H2AFY in hepatocellular carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2021; 21: 418
- Macrophage-associated lncRNA ELMO1-AS1: a novel therapeutic target and prognostic biomarker for hepatocellular carcinoma.Onco Targets Ther. 2019; 12: 6203-6216
- LncRNA ELF3-AS1 is a prognostic biomarker and correlated with immune infiltrates in hepatocellular carcinoma.Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 20218323487
- LncRNA SUMO1P3 acts as a prognostic biomarker and promotes hepatocellular carcinoma growth and metastasis.Aging. 2021; 13 (Albany NY): 12479-12492
- LncRNA CASC19 contributed to the progression of pancreatic cancer through modulating miR-148b/E2F7 axis.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2020; 24: 10462-10471
- [Effect of CASC19 on proliferation, apoptosis and radiation sensitivity of cervical cancer cells by regulating miR-449b-5p expression].Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi. 2020; 55: 36-44
- Long noncoding RNA CASC19 promotes glioma progression by modulating the miR4543p/RAB5A axis and is associated with unfavorable MRI features.Oncol Rep. 2021; 45: 728-737
- Long non-coding RNA CASC19 is associated with the progression and prognosis of advanced gastric cancer.Aging. 2019; 11 (Albany NY): 5829-5847
- LncRNA CASC19 promotes the proliferation, migration and invasion of non-small cell lung carcinoma via regulating miRNA-130b-3p.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2019; 23: 247-255
- Identification of immune-related lncRNA signature for predicting immune checkpoint blockade and prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma.Int Immunopharmacol. 2021; 92107333
- Immunoautophagy-related long noncoding RNA (IAR-lncRNA) signature predicts survival in hepatocellular carcinoma.Biology. 2021; 10 (Basel)
- Body composition changes in hepatocellular carcinoma: prediction of survival to transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in combination with clinical prognostic factors.Cancer Control. 2021; 2810732748211038445
- LncRNA SNHG17 contributes to proliferation, migration, and poor prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma.Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 20219990338
- Predictive value of a novel lncRNA LINC02518 in evaluating the prognosis of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.Biomark Med. 2021; 15: 1277-1288
- LncRNA H19 modulated by miR-146b-3p/miR-1539-mediated allelic regulation in transarterial chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma.Arch Toxicol. 2021; 95: 3063-3070
- Elevated LncRNA TRERNA1 correlated with activation of HIF-1alpha predicts poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma.Pathol Res Pract. 2021; 227153612
- lncRNA CASC19 contributes to radioresistance of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by promoting autophagy via AMPK-mTOR pathway.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22
- Long non-coding RNA CASC19 facilitates non-small cell lung cancer cell proliferation and metastasis by targeting the miR-301b-3p/LDLR axis.J Gene Med. 2020; 22: e3254
- A radioresponse-related lncRNA biomarker signature for risk classification and prognosis prediction in non-small-cell lung cancer.J Oncol. 2021; 20214338838
- Overexpression of CASC19 indicates poor prognosis and facilitates proliferation, migration and invasion in colorectal cancer.Transl Cancer Res. 2019; 8: 1249-1257
- Functional role of long non-coding RNA CASC19/miR-140-5p/CEMIP axis in colorectal cancer progression in vitro.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 1697-1714
- miR-140-5p attenuates hypoxia-induced breast cancer progression by targeting Nrf2/HO-1 axis in a keap1-independent mechanism.Cells. 2021; 11
- The miR-140-5p/KLF9/KCNQ1 axis promotes the progression of renal cell carcinoma.FASEB J. 2020; 34: 10623-10639
- Long non-coding RNA PVT1 regulates glioma proliferation, invasion, and aerobic glycolysis via miR-140-5p.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2020; 24: 8249
- Inhibitory effect of miR-140-5p on doxorubicin resistance of hepatocellular carcinoma.Exp Ther Med. 2021; 21: 507
- MicroRNA-140-5p inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma by directly targeting the unique isomerase Pin1 to block multiple cancer-driving pathways.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 45915
Published online: February 17, 2023
Accepted: December 4, 2022
Received: August 3, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Ltd on behalf of Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l.