Studies to evaluate the use of mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are limited after the appearance of biological treatments.
Our primary objective was to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of MMF in IBD.
IBD patients who had received MMF were retrieved from the ENEIDA registry. Clinical activity as per the Harvey‐Bradshaw Index (HBI), partial Mayo score (pMS), physician global assessment (PGA) and C-reactive protein (CRP) were reviewed at baseline, at 3 and 6 months, and at final follow-up. Adverse events and causes of treatment discontinuation were documented.
A total of 83 patients were included (66 Crohn's disease, 17 ulcerative colitis), 90% of whom had previously received other immunosuppressants. In 61% of patients systemic steroids were used at initiation of MMF, and in 27.3% biological agents were co-administered with MMF. Overall clinical effectiveness was observed in 64.7% of the population. At the end of treatment, 45.6% and 19.1% of subjects showed remission and clinical response, respectively. MMF treatment was maintained for a median of 28.9 months (IQR: 20.4–37.5).
Our study suggests, in the largest cohort to date, that MMF may be an effective alternative to thiopurines and methotrexate in IBD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A review of the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment methods of inflammatory bowel disease.J Med Life. 2019; 12: 113-122
- Inflammatory Bowel disease: genetics, epigenetics, and pathogenesis.Front Immunol. 2015; 6: 55
- Frequency and type of drug-related side effects necessitating treatment discontinuation in the Swiss Inflammatory Bowel Disease Cohort.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 30: 612-620
- Mycophenolate mofetil is a valid option in patients with inflammatory bowel disease resistant to TNFα- inhibitors and conventional immunosuppressants.Dig Liv Dis. 2017; 49: 157-162
- Mycophenolate mofetil: lack of efficacy in chronic active inflammatory bowel disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 14: 171-176
- Review article: the role of non-biological drugs in refractory inflammatory bowel disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 33: 417-427
- Mycophenolate mofetil and enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium in the treatment of pemphigus vulgaris and pemphigus foliaceus.J Dermatol Treat. 2014; 26: 67-72
- The role of mycophenolate mofetil in kidney transplantation revisited.Transplant Rev. 2014; 28: 26-31
- Safety of mycophenolate mofetil versus azathioprine in renal transplantation: a systematic review.Transplant Proc. 2004; 36: 2068-2070
- Mycophenolate mofetil (MMF): firing at the atherosclerotic plaque from different angles?.Cardiovasc Res. 2006; 69: 341-347
- Mycophenolate revisited.Transpl Int. 2015; 28: 508-515
- Mycophenolate mofetil in autoimmune and inflammatory skin disorders.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999; 40: 265-268
- Mycophenolate mofetil versus azathioprine in patients with chronic active ulcerative colitis: a 12-month pilot study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 1201-1207
- Azathioprine versus mycophenolate mofetil in combination with anti-TNF alpha agents in the management of Crohn's disease.J Crohns Colitis. 2015; 9: S326
- Mycophenolate mofetil therapy in the management of inflammatory bowel disease–a retrospective case series and review.J Crohns Colitis. 2014; 8: 890-897
- Mycophenolate mofetil therapy for refractory inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007; 13: 1488-1492
- Use of mycophenolate mofetil in inflammatory bowel disease.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 1594-1599
- Efficacy of mycophenolate mofetil in patients failing 6-mercaptopurine or azathioprine therapy for Crohn's disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2000; 6: 16-20
- Toxicity of mycophenolate mofetil in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2002; 8: 93-97
- The ENEIDA registry (Nationwide study on genetic and environmental determinants of inflammatory bowel disease) by GETECCU: design, monitoring and functions.Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 43: 551-558
- ECCO. Third European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease 2016: part 1: diagnosis and medical management.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 3-25
- Third European evidence-based consensus on diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis. Part 1: definitions, diagnosis, extra-intestinal manifestations, pregnancy, cancer surveillance, surgery, and ileo-anal pouch disorders.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 649-670
- The use of mycophenolate mofetil (rs-61443) in human heart transplant recipients.Transplantation. 1993; 56: 75-81
- Review of clinical experience with the novel immunosuppressive drug mycophenolate mofetil in renal transplantation.Clin Nephrol. 1996; 45: 336-341
- A randomized active-controlled trial of mycophenolate mofetil in heart transplant recipients1.Transplantation. 1998; 66: 507-515
- Mycophenolate mofetil therapy in lupus nephritis clinical observations.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999; 10: 833-839
- Mycophenolate mofetil treatment improves hypertension in patients with psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 17: S218-S225
- Therapeutic drug monitoring of mycophenolic acid in patients with psoriasis.Eur J Dermatol. 2010; 20: 321-322
- Mycophenolate mofetil in patients with Crohn's disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 1998; 93: 2529-2532
- Randomised trial of mycophenolate mofetil versus azathioprine for treatment of chronic active Crohn's disease.Gut. 1999; 44: 625-628
- Is mycophenolate mofetil an effective alternative in azathioprine-intolerant patients with chronic active Crohn's disease?.Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96: 782-787
- Mycophenolate mofetil in refractory Crohn's disease after failure of treatments by azathioprine or methotrexate.Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 2002; 26: 17-22
- Mycophenolate mofetil for Crohn's disease: short-term efficacy and long-term outcome.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 19: 427-434
- Italian Society of Gastroenterology; Italian Group for the study of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The Italian Society of Gastroenterology (SIGE) and the Italian Group for the study of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IG-IBD) Clinical Practice Guidelines: the use of tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonist therapy in inflammatory bowel disease.Dig Liv Dis. 2011; 43: 1-20
- Mycophenolate mofetil following intolerance or failure of thiopurine therapy in inflammatory bowel diseases.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 34: 1030-1046
- Importance of apoptosis in the histopathology of drug related lesions in the large intestine.J Clin Pathol. 1993; 46: 118-122
Published online: November 30, 2021
Accepted: October 7, 2021
Received: May 11, 2021
© 2021 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.