Aim of the study
To compare [¹¹C] choline PET/CT findings between patients with cirrhosis and normal liver controls.
Included 11 patients with cirrhosis and 14 controls. All underwent a dynamic [11C] choline PET/CT. The maximal standard uptake values (SUVmax), the area under the curve (AUC) and kinetic parameters (K1 and K2), clinical and laboratory data, were compared between groups.
Patients mean age was 68.4 ± 10.7 and controls, 69.7 ± 7.3 years. Mean SUVmax was higher in patients than controls (right lobe, 10.06 ± 12 vs. 6.3 ± 1.6, P = 0.011; left lobe, 8.6 ± 11.6 vs. 5.4 ± 0.9, P = 0.024; spleen 17.99 ± 27.8 vs. 13.4 ± 2.6, P = 0.027; kidney, 35.9 ± 59.5 vs. 19.3 ± 4.8, P = 0.025) and also AUC values (right lobe, 13,538 ± 20,020 vs. 8427.3 ± 1557.9, P = 0.026; left lobe 12,304 ± 18,871 vs. 6878.9 ± 1294.3, P = 0.024; spleen, 12,875 ± 17,930 vs. 8263.9 ± 1279.2, P = 0.023; kidney, 24,623 ± 36,025 vs. 13,667 ± 3873.9, P = 0.032). No difference in kinetic parameters was found. No correlations between severity of clinical signs and imaging-derived parametric data were found among patients with cirrhosis.
[11C] choline PET/CT may serve as a noninvasive biomarker for patients with cirrhosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Phosphatidylcholine homeostasis and liver failure.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 3798-3802
- Choline: critical role during fetal development and dietary requirements in adults.Annu Rev Nutr. 2006; 26: 229-250
- Choline's role in maintaining liver function: new evidence for epigenetic mechanisms.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013; 16: 339-345
- Role of phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis in the regulation of lipoprotein homeostasis.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2008; 119: 229-234
- The effects of choline on hepatic lipid metabolism, mitochondrial function and antioxidative status in human hepatic C3A cells exposed to excessive energy substrates.Nutrients. 2014; 6: 2552-2571
- Liver disease.in: Hammer GD McPhee SJ Pathophysiology of disease: an introduction to clinical medicine. 6th edition. McGraw-Hill, NY2010: 373-412
- Invasive and non-invasive assessment of portal hypertension.Hepatol Int. 2018; 12: 44-55
- Elastography methods for the non-invasive assessment of portal hypertension.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 12: 155-164
- (11)C-Choline PET/CT in patients with hormone-resistant prostate cancer showing biochemical relapse after radical prostatectomy.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2013; 40: 149-155
- Imaging primary prostate cancer with 11C-Choline PET/CT: relation to tumour stage, Gleason score and biomarkers of biologic aggressiveness.Radiol Oncol. 2012; 46: 179-188
- PET/CT with 18F fluorocholine as an imaging biomarker for chronic liver disease: a preliminary radiopathologic correspondence study in patients with liver cancer.Radiology. 2018; 287: 294-302
- Hepatitis C virus infection and liver steatosis.Antiviral Res. 2003; 60: 125-127
- Current possibilities to assess the degree of liver fibrosis in patients with haemophilia infected with HCV-Review.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2015; 24: 671-677
- Comparison of liver biopsy and noninvasive techniques for liver fibrosis assessment in patients infected with HCV-genotype 4 in Egypt.J Viral Hepat. 2015; 22: 245-253
- A model to predict survival in patients with end-stage liver disease.Hepatology. 2001; 33: 464-470
- Dynamic 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET/CT for the primary evaluation of localized renal mass: a prospective study.J Nucl Med. 2020 Oct 23; (jnumed.120.251272. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.120.251272. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33097628)
- Blood metabolism of [methyl-11C]choline; implications for in vivo imaging with positron emission tomography.Eur J Nucl Med. 2000; 27: 25-32
- Vance. Thematic Review Series: glycerolipids Phosphatidylcholine and choline homeostasis.J Lipid Res. 2008; 49: 1187-1194
- Renal failure in patients with liver cirrhosis: novel classifications, biomarkers, treatment.Visc Med. 2018; 34: 246-252
- Incidental detection of plasma cell neoplasm on 18F-Choline PET/CT imaging.Clin Nucl Med. 2019; 44: 140-141
- [18F]fluorocholine PET/CT imaging of liver cancer: radiopathologic correlation with tissue phospholipid profiling.Mol Imaging and Biol. 2017; 19: 446-455
- Quantitation of liver and spleen uptake of 99mTc-phytate colloid using SPECT: detection of liver cirrhosis.J Nucl Med. 2002; 43: 312-317
- Feasibility of in vivo MR elastographic splenic stiffness measurements in the assessment of portal hypertension.Am J Roentgenol. 2009; 193: 122-127
- Ultrasound-based transient elastography for the detection of hepatic fibrosis: systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 5: 1214-1220
- Eight weeks of exercise training increases aerobic capacity and muscle mass and reduces fatigue in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 12: 1920-1926
- Home exercise training improves exercise capacity in cirrhosis patients: role of exercise adherence.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 99
- Hepatitis C virus genotypes and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis: a case-control study.Gastroenterology. 1996; 111: 199-205
- Older age at the time of liver biopsy is the important risk factor for advanced fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C.Hepatogastroenterology. 2007; 54: 2324-2327
- Racial differences in the progression to cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma in HCV-infected veterans.Am J Gastroenterol. 2014; 109: 1427-1435
- The contribution of health risk behaviors to excess mortality in American adults with chronic hepatitis C: a population cohort-study.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 97-107
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic HBV-HCV co-infection is correlated to fibrosis and disease duration.Ann Hepatol. 2015; 14: 75-82
- Liver stiffness and aspartate aminotransferase levels predict the risk for liver fibrosis progression in hepatitis C virus/HIV-coinfected patients.HIV Med. 2015; 6: 211-218
- A seven-gene signature (cirrhosis risk score) predicts liver fibrosis progression in patients with initially mild chronic hepatitis C.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1038-1044
- Serum microRNAs as predictors for liver fibrosis staging in hepatitis C virus-associated chronic liver disease patients.J Viral Hepat. 2017; 24: 636-644
Published online: December 01, 2020
Accepted: November 9, 2020
Received: August 30, 2020
© 2020 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.