Diagnosis of malignant biliary obstruction is complicated and lacks accuracy. Exosomes may be secreted by malignant tumors; intact miRNAs from exosomes might serve as potential biomarkers for the disease.
To identify exosomal microRNAs in human bile among benign and malignant biliary obstructions.
Bile samples were collected from patients undergoing therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for biliary obstruction. Exosome microRNAs were determined by RNA-sequencing in the discovery cohort, which comprising benign (n = 5) cases and malignant biliary obstruction (n = 5) cases. Then, the diagnostic performance of the two up-regulated microRNAs (mir-483-5p and mir-126-3p) of bile exosomes was verified by analysis of 82 patients with a diagnosis of malignant (n=37) or nonmalignant (n=45) biliary obstruction.
In both cohorts, the expressions of mir-483-5p and mir-126-3p were significantly higher in bile exosomes samples from patients with malignant biliary obstructions than controls. In the verification cohort, the two miRNAs can distinguished the benign and malignant groups with high diagnostic accuracy and specificity; the diagnostic values of the two microRNAs were better than serum carbohydrate antigen 19-9 (CA19-9), area under the curve (AUC) were 0.81 and 0.74.
The expression of exosomal mir-483-5p and mir-126-3p in the bile samples discriminates between patients with malignant and nonmalignant biliary obstructions.
Clinical Trial registration no
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Biliary strictures: diagnostic considerations and approach.Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2015; 3: 22-31
- CA 19-9: handle with care.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2013; 51: 1369-1383
- Advances in membranous vesicle and exosome proteomics improving biological understanding and biomarker discovery.Proteomics. 2011; 11: 709-720
- The emerging roles of microvesicles in liver diseases.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 11: 350-361
- The potential of tumor-derived exosomes for noninvasive cancer monitoring.Expert Rev Mol. Diagnost. 2015; 15: 1293-1310
- Diagnostic and prognostic potential of extracellular vesicles in peripheral blood.Clin Ther. 2014; 36: 830-846
- Tumor-derived microvesicles: shedding light on novel microenvironment modulators and prospective cancer biomarkers.Genes Dev. 2012; 26: 1287-1299
- Microenvironment-induced PTEN loss by exosomal microRNA primes brain metastasis outgrowth.Nature. 2015; 527: 100-104
- Circulating exosomal microRNAs as biomarkers of colon cancer.Plos One. 2014; 9
- Exosomal MicroRNA: a diagnostic marker for lung cancer.Clin Lung Cancer. 2009; 10: 42-46
- Clinical impact of serum exosomal microRNA-21 as a clinical biomarker in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Cancer. 2013; 119: 1159-1167
- Serum exosomal microRNAs as novel biomarkers for hepatocellular carcinoma.Exp Mol Med. 2015; 47: e184
- Combined evaluation of a panel of protein and miRNA serum-exosome biomarkers for pancreatic cancer diagnosis increases sensitivity and specificity.Int J Cancer. 2015; 136: 2616-2627
- Cancer exosomes perform cell-independent microRNA biogenesis and promote tumorigenesis.Cancer Cell. 2014; 26: 707-721
- The diagnostic/prognostic potential and molecular functions of long non-coding RNAs in the exosomes derived from the bile of human cholangiocarcinoma.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 69995-70005
- Human bile contains MicroRNA-Laden extracellular vesicles that can be used for cholangiocarcinoma diagnosis.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 896-907
- Cardiac myocyte exosomes: stability, HSP60, and proteomics.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013; 304: H954-H965
- Long non-coding RNAs with low expression levels in cells are enriched in secreted exosomes.Cell Biol Int. 2014; 38: 1076-1079
- Extracellular vesicles in bile as markers of malignant biliary stenoses.Gastroenterology. 2017; 153: 495-504
Ko J., Bhagwat N., Black T., et al. miRNA profiling of magnetic nanopore-isolated extracellular vesicles for the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. 2018; 78: 3688-3697.
- MicroRNAs in serum and bile of patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and/or cholangiocarcinoma.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0139305
- Circulating miR-483-3p and miR-21 is highly expressed in plasma of pancreatic cancer.Int J Oncol. 2015; 46: 539-547
- Malignant distal biliary obstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of endoscopic and surgical bypass results.Cancer Treat Rev. 2007; 33: 213-221
- Cholangiocarcinoma.Lancet. 2014; 383: 2168-2179
- Clinical diagnosis and staging of cholangiocarcinoma.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 8: 512-522
- Usefulness of the single-operator cholangioscopy system SpyGlass in biliary disease: a single-center prospective cohort study and aggregated review.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 2223-2232
- The impact of probe-based confocal endomicroscopy on the management of indeterminate bile duct strictures.VideoGIE. 2018; 3: 26-27
- MicroRNAs in body fluids–the mix of hormones and biomarkers.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2011; 8: 467-477
- Characterization of microRNAs in serum: a novel class of biomarkers for diagnosis of cancer and other diseases.Cell Res. 2008; 18: 997-1006
- MicroRNAs: predictors and modifiers of chemo- and radiotherapy in different tumour types.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 298-311
- miR-483-5p promotes prostate cancer cell proliferation and invasion by targeting RBM5.Int Braz J Urol. 2017; 43 (Nov-Dec): 1060-1067
Published online: November 27, 2020
Accepted: November 9, 2020
Received: April 25, 2020
© 2020 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.