Autoimmune and multifocal atrophic gastritis (AG) are at risk for gastric neoplastic lesions. European guidelines recommend surveillance with high-quality endoscopy every 3 years.
To prospectively investigate the occurrence of gastric neoplastic lesions at the 3-year follow-up in patients with autoimmune and multifocal AG.
Longitudinal cohort study conducted between 2011 and 2019: consecutive patients with histological diagnosis of autoimmune or multifocal AG underwent follow-up gastroscopy 3 years after diagnosis with high-resolution-narrow-band-imaging endoscopes.
Overall, 160 patients were included(F117(73.0%);median age 66(35–87)years). Autoimmune and multifocal AG were present in 122(76.3%) and 38(23.7%) patients, respectively. At the 3-year follow-up, 16(10.0%) patients presented 16 gastric neoplastic lesions: 3(18.7%) gastric cancers, 4(25.0%) low-grade dysplasia, 2(12.5%) low-grade dysplasia adenomas, 7(43.7%) type-1 neuroendocrine tumours. In these patients, OLGA and OLGIM III/IV stages were present in 4(25.0)% and 1(6.3%), respectively; 11(69.0%) presented autoimmune AG, and all but one(93.7%) had parietal cells antibodies positivity (p = 0.026 vs patients without lesions). All lesions were endoscopically(87.5%) or surgically(12.5%) treated with favourable outcome. Age>70 years was associated with a 9-fold higher probability of developing gastric epithelial neoplastic lesions (OR 9.6,95CI% 1.2–79.4,p = 0.0359).
The first endoscopic surveillance 3 years after diagnosis seems safe for autoimmune and multifocal AG patients and should be offered to elderly patients who are at higher risk for gastric neoplasia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Human gastric carcinogenesis: a multistep and multifactorial process-first American cancer society award lecture on cancer epidemiology and prevention.Cancer Res. 1992; 52: 6735-6740
- The changing face of chronic autoimmune atrophic gastritis: an updated comprehensive perspective.Autoimmun Rev. 2019; 18: 215-222
- Autoimmune gastritis.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2020; 6: 56
- Occurrence of gastric cancer and carcinoids in atrophic gastritis during prospective long-term follow up.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2015; 50: 856-865
- Gastric cancer in autoimmune gastritis: a case-control study from the German centers of the staR project on gastric cancer research.United Euro Gastroenterol J. 2020; 8: 175-184
- A current clinical overview of atrophic gastritis.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 14: 93-102
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424
- Chronic atrophic gastritis: natural history, diagnosis and therapeutic management. A position paper by the Italian society of hospital gastroenterologists and digestive endoscopists [AIGO], the Italian society of digestive endoscopy [SIED], the Italian society of gastroenterology [SIGE], and the Italian society of internal medicine [SIMI].Dig Liver Dis. 2019; 51: 1621-1632
- Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney system. International workshop on the histopathology of gastritis, Houston 1994.Am J Surg Pathol. 1996; 20: 1161-1181
- Gastritis staging in clinical practice: the OLGA staging system.Gut. 2007; 56: 631-636
- The staging of gastritis with the OLGA system by using intestinal metaplasia as an accurate alternative for atrophic gastritis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 1150-1158
- Staging of intestinal- and diffuse-type gastric cancers with the OLGA and OLGIM staging systems.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013; 38: 1292-1302
- Operative link for gastritis assessment vs operative link on intestinal metaplasia assessment.World J Gastroenterol. 2011; 17: 4596-4601
- A multicenter validation of an endoscopic classification with narrow band imaging for gastric precancerous and cancerous lesions.Endoscopy. 2012; 44: 236-246
- A multicenter prospective study of the real-time use of narrow-band imaging in the diagnosis of premalignant gastric conditions and lesions.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 723-730
- Endoscopic grading of gastric intestinal metaplasia (EGGIM): a multicenter validation study.Endoscopy. 2019; 51: 515-521
- Narrow band imaging characteristics of gastric polypoid lesions: a single-center prospective pilot study.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 32: 701-705
- Reliability and accuracy of blue light imaging for staging of intestinal metaplasia in the stomach.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2019; 54: 1301-1305
- Gastritis staging in the endoscopic follow-up for the secondary prevention of gastric cancer: a 5-year prospective study of 1755 patients.Gut. 2019; 68: 11-17
- Incidence of gastric cancer among patients with gastric precancerous lesions: observational cohort study in a low risk Western population.BMJ. 2015; 351: h3867
- Management of precancerous conditions and lesions in the stomach (MAPS): guideline from the European society of gastrointestinal endoscopy (ESGE), European helicobacter study group (EHSG), European society of pathology (ESP), and the sociedade Portuguesa de endoscopia digestiva (SPED).Endoscopy. 2012; 44: 74-94
- Management of epithelial precancerous conditions and lesions in the stomach (MAPS II): European society of gastrointestinal endoscopy (ESGE), European helicobacter and microbiota study group (EHMSG), European society of pathology (ESP), and sociedade Portuguesa de endoscopia digestiva (SPED) guideline update 2019.Endoscopy. 2019; 51: 365-388
- The risk of gastric carcinoma and carcinoid tumours in patients with pernicious anaemia. A prospective follow-up study.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1998; 33: 88-92
- Natural history of autoimmune atrophic gastritis: a prospective, single centre, long-term experience.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50: 1172-1180
- Determinants of diagnostic delay in autoimmune atrophic gastritis.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019; 50: 167-175
- Metastatic type 1 gastric carcinoid: a real threat or just a myth?.World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19: 8687-8695
- Management of gastric neuro-endocrine tumours in a large French national cohort (GTE).Endocrine. 2017; 57: 504-511
- Tumour type and size are prognostic factors in gastric neuroendocrine neoplasia: a multicentre retrospective study.Dig Liver Dis. 2019; 51: 1456-1460
- Measurement of autoantibodies to gastric H+,K+-ATPase (ATP4A/B) using a luciferase immunoprecipitation system (LIPS).Methods Mol Biol. 2019; 1901: 113-131
- Seronegative autoimmune atrophic gastritis is more common in elderly patients.Dig Liver Dis. 2020;
Published online: November 13, 2020
Accepted: October 29, 2020
Received: September 10, 2020
© 2020 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.