The effect of treatment delay on survival in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) remains unclear.
This study aimed to assess the prognostic impact of time to diagnosis and chemotherapy in advanced PDAC and factors influencing the time intervals.
advanced PDAC patients receiving chemotherapy in five centers in the decade 2007–2016 were included. Key time points during care pathway from clinical presentation to beginning of chemotherapy were retrospectively collected. Multivariate Cox proportional hazard model was performed.
A total of 409 patients were included (mean age 66.1 ± 10.3 years; 250 metastatic (61%); 139 received FOLFIRINOX chemotherapy (34%). The median overall survival (OS) was 7.2 months. The median times from first symptoms and from first specialist visit to the beginning of chemotherapy were respectively 100 days and 47 days. None of time intervals was significantly associated with OS. Significant prognostic factors were FOLFIRINOX chemotherapy (HR 0.6 [0.5–0.8]; P < 0.001), metastasis (HR 1.6 [1.3–2.0]; P = 0.001), WHO PS ≥ 2 (HR 1.6 [1.2–2.1]; P < 0.001) and acute pancreatitis as first symptom (HR 2.9 [1.7–4.9]; P < 0.001). Jaundice shortened time to diagnosis (P < 0.001). Acute pancreatitis (P < 0.001) and diabetes (P = 0.01) increased time to treatment.
Wait times from clinical presentation to beginning of chemotherapy do not influence survival in advanced PDAC.
Abbreviations:OS (overall survival), PDAC (pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma), CHU (University Hospital Center), BMI (body mass index), CA 19.9 (Carbohydrate antigen 19–9), WHO PS (WHO performance status), HR (Hazard ratio)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2016.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 7-30https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21332
- Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries and 25 major cancers in 2018.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl 1990. 2018; 103: 356-387https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2018.07.005
- Projecting cancer incidence and deaths to 2030: the unexpected burden of thyroid, liver, and pancreas cancers in the United States.Cancer Res. 2014; 74: 2913-2921https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-0155
- Early detection of pancreatic cancer—a defined future using lessons from other cancers.Pancreas. 2016; 45: 1073-1079https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0000000000000701
- Pancreatic cancer: French clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up (SNFGE, FFCD, GERCOR, UNICANCER, SFCD, SFED, SFRO, ACHBT, AFC).Dig Liver Dis Off J Ital Soc Gastroenterol Ital Assoc Study Liver. 2018; 50: 1257-1271https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dld.2018.08.008
- FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1817-1825https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1011923
- Increased survival in pancreatic cancer with nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1691-1703https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1304369
- FOLFIRINOX or gemcitabine as adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2395-2406https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1809775
- State of the art and future directions of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma therapy.Pharmacol Ther. 2015; 155: 80-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2015.08.006
- Is increased time to diagnosis and treatment in symptomatic cancer associated with poorer outcomes? Systematic review.Br J Cancer. 2015; 112: S92-107https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2015.48
- Screening for early pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: an urgent call!.JOP J Pancreas. 2009; 10: 104-108
- Curative resection is the single most important factor determining outcome in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma.Br J Surg. 2004; 91: 586-594https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.4484
- Long-term survival after pancreatoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: is cure possible?.Ann Surg. 2008; 247: 456-462https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181613142
- Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: is there a survival difference for R1 resections versus locally advanced unresectable tumors? What is a “true” R0 resection?.Ann Surg. 2013; 257: 731-736https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e318263da2f
- Arterial and venous resection for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: operative and long-term outcomes.Arch Surg Chic Ill 1960. 2009; 144: 154-159https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2008.547
- Clinical presentation and waiting time targets do not affect prognosis in patients with pancreatic cancer.Surg J R Coll Surg Edinb Irel. 2010; 8: 239-246https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2010.03.001
- The “two-week” target for the diagnosis of pancreatic carcinoma: an achievable aim?.Eur J Surg Oncol J Eur Soc Surg Oncol Br Assoc Surg Oncol. 2003; 29: 575-579
- Non-icteric pancreas head carcinoma fares worse than icteric pancreas head carcinoma.J Surg Oncol. 1992; 49: 253-258https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.2930490410
- Intervals between symptom onset and clinical presentation in cancer patients.Intern Med Tokyo Jpn. 2009; 48: 899-905https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.48.1720
- The effect of wait times on oncological outcomes from periampullary adenocarcinomas.J Surg Oncol. 2013; 107: 853-858https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.23338
- Pancreatic cancer: Wait times from presentation to treatment and survival in a population-based study.Int J Cancer. 2016; 139: 1073-1080https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.30166
- Advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma outcomes with transition from devolved to centralized care in a regional cancer centre.Br J Cancer. 2017; 116: 424-431https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2016.406
- The influence of hospital volume and surgical treatment delay on long-term survival after cancer surgery.Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2012; 23: 2731-2737https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds101
Les cancers en France en 2018 - L'essentiel des faits et chiffres (édition 2019) - Ref : ETKAFR19 n.d.https://www.e-cancer.fr/Expertises-et-publications/Catalogue-des-publications/Les-cancers-en-France-en-2018-L-essentiel-des-faits-et-chiffres-edition-2019(accessed August 20, 2019).
- The Aarhus statement: improving design and reporting of studies on early cancer diagnosis.Br J Cancer. 2012; 106: 1262-1267https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.68
- Evidence of increasing mortality with longer diagnostic intervals for five common cancers: a cohort study in primary care.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl 1990. 2013; 49: 2187-2198https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2013.01.025
- Advanced-stage cancer and time to diagnosis: an international cancer benchmarking partnership (ICBP) cross-sectional study.Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2019; : e13100https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.13100
- The prognostic role of time to diagnosis and presenting symptoms in patients with pancreatic cancer.Cancer Epidemiol. 2013; 37: 186-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.12.002
- Travel times to health care and survival from cancers in Northern England.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl 1990. 2008; 44: 269-274https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2007.07.028
- The influence of geographical access to health care and material deprivation on colorectal cancer survival: evidence from France and England.Health Place. 2014; 30: 36-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2014.08.002
- Pancreatic cancer following acute pancreatitis: a population-based Matched Cohort study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2018; 113: 1711-1719https://doi.org/10.1038/s41395-018-0255-9
- Acute pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer risk: a nationwide Matched-Cohort study in Denmark.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 1729-1736https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2018.02.011
- Diabetes mellitus and risk of pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies.Eur J Cancer Oxf Engl 1990. 2011; 47: 1928-1937https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.03.003
- Type-II diabetes and pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of 36 studies.Br J Cancer. 2005; 92: 2076-2083https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602619
- Care pathway of patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer in daily practice in France: results from the REPERE national survey.Bull Cancer (Paris). 2017; 104: 321-331https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bulcan.2016.11.022
- Patient perspectives on delays in diagnosis and treatment of cancer: a qualitative analysis of free-text data.Br J Gen Pract J R Coll Gen Pract. 2017; 67: e49-e56https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp16X688357
- Stratification of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas based on tumor and microenvironment features.Gastroenterology. 2018; 155 (e3): 1999-2013https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2018.08.033
Published online: April 30, 2020
Accepted: March 16, 2020
Received: August 24, 2019
© 2020 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.