Half of patients newly diagnosed with esophageal squamous cell cancer (ESCC) have metastatic disease (mESCC) and therefore a poor prognosis. Furthermore, half of patients with initial loco-regional disease present disease recurrence after surgery and/or chemoradiation. In mESCC, the recommended first-line treatment combines 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin, although this has not been validated by a phase III trial. Patients with disease progression or recurrence after platinum-based chemotherapy and good performance status probably benefit from second-line chemotherapy. Several molecules have been evaluated in phase I/II trials or retrospective studies (docetaxel, paclitaxel and irinotecan) but no randomised studies are available.
OESIRI is a multicentre, randomised, open-label phase II trial designed to evaluate efficacy and safety of liposomal irinotecan (nal-IRI) plus 5-FU versus paclitaxel as second-line therapy in patients with mESCC. The main inclusion criteria are histologically proven mESCC in progression after first-line platinum-based chemotherapy. Patients with initial resectable disease can be included if recurrence occurred within 6 months.
The primary objective is to evaluate the percentage of patients alive 9 months after randomisation. Secondary endpoints are progression-free survival, overall survival, response rate, safety and quality of life. In addition, circulating tumour DNA will be monitored to assess its prognostic value.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Institut National du Cancer. Les cancers en France en 2018 - L’essentiel des faits et chiffres (édition 2019).
- Survival of patients with esophageal and gastric cancers in Europe. EUROCARE Working Group.Eur J Cancer. 1998; 34: 2167-2175
- EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995–1999. Results and commentary.Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 931-991
- Survival for esophageal, stomach and small intestine cancers in Europe 1999–2007: results from EUROCARE-5.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 2144-2157
- Global incidence of esophageal cancer by histological subtype in 2012.Gut. 2015; 64: 381-387
- Continuation versus discontinuation of first-line chemotherapy in patients with metastatic squamous cell esophageal cancer: a randomised phase II trial (E-DIS).Eur J Cancer. 2019; 111: 12-20
- Palliative chemotherapy and targeted therapies for esophageal and gastresophageal junction cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 11CD004063
- Randomised phase II study of cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) versus cisplatin alone in advanced squamous cell esophageal cancer.Eur J Cancer. 1997; 33: 1216-1220
- Combination of folinic acid, 5-fluorouracil bolus and infusion, and cisplatin (LV5FU2-P regimen) in patients with advanced gastric or gastresophageal junction carcinoma.Ann Oncol. 2004; 15: 765-769
- Capecitabine and oxaliplatin for advanced esophagogastric cancer.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 36-46
- Phase II trial of irinotecan plus docetaxel in cisplatin-pretreated relapsed or refractory esophageal cancer.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 630-633
- Phase II study of weekly paclitaxel and capecitabine in patients with metastatic or recurrent esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.BMC Cancer. 2011; 11: 385
- Weekly nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel in combination with cisplatin versus weekly solvent-based paclitaxel plus cisplatin as first-line therapy in Chinese patients with advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.OncoTargets Ther. 2016; 9: 5663-5669
- Second-line modified FOLFOX6 regimen in the patients with metastatic esophageal Cancer.Hepatogastroenterology. 2015; 62: 902-906
- Nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil and folinic acid in metastatic pancreatic cancer after previous gemcitabine-based therapy (NAPOLI-1): a global, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 545-547
- A randomized phase II study of PEP02 (MM-398), irinotecan or docetaxel as a second-line therapy in patients with locally advanced or metastatic gastric or gastro-esophageal junction adenocarcinoma.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24: 1567-1573
- Gefitinib treatment in EGFR mutated caucasian NSCLC: circulating-free tumor DNA as a surrogate for determination of EGFR status.J Thorac Oncol. 2014; 9: 1345-1353
- Capturing intra-tumor genetic heterogeneity by de novo mutation profiling of circulating cell-free tumor DNA: a proof-of-principle.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1729-1735
- Targeted sequencing reveals clonal genetic changes in the progression of early lung neoplasms and paired circulating DNA.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 8258
- Analysis of circulating tumor DNA to monitor metastatic breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1199-1209
- Multifocal clonal evolution characterized using circulating tumour DNA in a case of metastatic breast cancer.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 8760
- Detection and quantification of mutations in the plasma of patients with colorectal tumors.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005; 102: 16368-16373
- Base-position error rate analysis of next-generation sequencing applied to circulating tumor DNA in non-small cell lung Cancer: a prospective study.PLoS Med. 2016; 13e1002199
- Noninvasive diagnosis and monitoring of mutations by deep sequencing of circulating tumor DNA in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016; 471: 596-602
- Analysis of base-position error rate of next-generation sequencing to detect tumor mutations in circulating DNA.Clin Chem. 2016; 62: 1492-1503
- A study of hypermethylated circulating tumor DNA as a universal colorectal Cancer biomarker.Clin Chem. 2016; 62: 1129-1139
- Nivolumab treatment for oesophageal squamous-cell carcinoma: an open-label, multicentre, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 631-639
- Safety and efficacy of pembrolizumab monotherapy in patients with previously treated advanced gastric and gastroesophageal junction Cancer: phase 2 clinical KEYNOTE-059 trial.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4 (e180013-e180013)
- Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy as second-line therapy for advanced esophageal cancer: phase III KEYNOTE-181 study.JCO. 2019; 37 (2-2)
Published online: December 30, 2019
Accepted: November 18, 2019
Received: October 4, 2019
© 2019 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.