Population aging and comorbidity are leading to an increase in patients unfit for cholecystectomy.
To evaluate whether endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy after a first episode of acute gallstone pancreatitis reduces the risk of pancreatitis recurrence and gallstone-related events in non-surgical candidates.
Retrospective study of patients admitted for a first episode of acute gallstone pancreatitis rejected for cholecystectomy between 2013–2018. The role of endoscopic sphincterotomy was evaluated by adjusting for age, severity of pancreatitis, and presence of choledocholithiasis.
We included 247 patients (mean age 80 ± 12 years; Charlson index: 5; severity of pancreatitis: 72% mild). Sphincterotomy was performed in 23.9%. Recurrence of pancreatitis occurred in 17.4% patients (median follow-up: 426 days). The one-year cumulative incidence of a new episode of pancreatitis was 1.8% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.2–12%) and 23% (95% CI: 17–31%) in patients with and without sphincterotomy, respectively (p = 0.006). In multivariate analysis, sphincterotomy showed a protective role for recurrence of pancreatitis (adjusted hazard ratio [HR]: 0.29, 95% CI: 0.08–0.92, p = 0.037) and for any gallstone-related event (HR 0.46, 95% CI: 0.21–0.98, p = 0.043).
Endoscopic biliary sphincterotomy reduced the risk of gallstone pancreatitis recurrence and other biliary-related disorders in patients with a first episode of pancreatitis non-candidates for cholecystectomy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The epidemiology of pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: 1252-1261
- IAP/APA evidence-based guidelines for the management of acute pancreatitis.Pancreatology. 2013; 13: 1-15
- Gallstone migration as a cause of acute pancreatitis.N Engl J Med. 1974; 290: 484-487
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography decreases all-cause and pancreatitis readmissions in patients with acute gallstone pancreatitis who do not undergo cholecystectomy: a nationwide 5-year analysis.Pancreas. 2018; 47: 425-435
- Recurrence of acute gallstone pancreatitis and relationship with cholecystectomy or endoscopic sphincterotomy.Am J Gastroenterol. 2004; 99: 2417-2423
- The role of surgery in the management of acute pancreatitis.Ann Surg. 1990; 211: 382-393
- Delayed cholecystectomy for gallstone pancreatitis: readmissions and outcomes.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2004; 86: 358-362
- Gallstone pancreatitis in older patients: are we operating enough?.Surgery. 2011; 150: 515-525
- Gallstone pancreatitis.Sinai J Med. 1979; 46: 364-366
- Gallstone pancreatitis: a clinical entity.Surgery. 1962; 51: 177-183
- Gallstone pancreatitis: pathophysiology.Surgery. 1976; 80: 488-492
- Gallstone pancreatitis and the effect of cholecystectomy: a population-based cohort study.Mayo Clin Proc. 1988; 63: 466-473
- Gallstone pancreatitis without cholecystectomy.JAMA Surg. 2013; 148: 867-872
- Management of gallstone pancreatitis: cholecystectomy or ERCP and endoscopic sphincterotomy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2002; 56: 61-65
- Acute pancreatitis.Lancet. 2015; 386: 85-96
- The role of endoscopy in benign pancreatic disease.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 82: 203-214
- ERCP and endoscopic sphincterotomy (ES): a safe and definitive management of gallstone pancreatitis with the gallbladder left in situ.J Gastrointest Surg. 2011; 15: 2205-2210
- Effect of endoscopic sphincterotomy and interval cholecystectomy on late outcome after gallstone pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 1998; 85: 333-336
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy without cholecystectomy for gallstone pancreatitis.Gut. 1995; 37: 119-120
- Roles of endoscopic sphincterotomy and cholecystectomy in acute biliary pancreatitis.Hepatogastroenterology. 2008; 55: 1981-1985
- UK guidelines for the management of acute pancreatitis.Gastroenterology. 2005; 54: iii1-iii9
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy for prevention of the recurrence of acute biliary pancreatitis in patients with gallbladder in situ.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 1442-1446
- American College of gastroenterology guideline:management of acute pancreatitis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 1400-1415
- A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 446-454
- Calculating the number needed to treat for trials where the outcome is time to an event.BMJ. 1999; 319: 1492-1495
- Early definitive treatment rate as a quality indicator of care in acute gallstone pancreatitis.Br J Surg. 2017; 104: 1686-1694
- Timing of cholecystectomy after mild biliary pancreatitis: a systematic review.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 860-866
- Timing of cholecystectomy for biliary pancreatitis: do the data support current guidelines?.J Gastrointest Surg. 2008; 12: 2164-2170
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy and interval cholecystectomy are reasonable alternatives to index cholecystectomy in severe acute gallstone pancreatitis.Surg Endosc. 2008; 22: 1832-1837
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy permits interval laparoscopic cholecystectomy in patients with moderately severe gallstone pancreatitis.J Gastrointest Surg. 2006; 10: 1-5
- Impact of laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a population-based study.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1632-1637
- JPN guidelines for the management of acute pancreatitis: treatment of gallstone-induced acute pancreatitis.J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2006; 13: 56-60
- Cholecystectomy for acute gallstone pancreatitis: early vs delayed approach.Scand J Surg. 2010; 99: 81-85
- Occult microlithiasis in ééidiopathic‘ acute pancreatitis: prevention of relapses by cholecystectomy or ursodeoxycholic acid therapy.Gastroenterology. 1991; 101: 1701-1709
- Idiopathic reCurrent pancreatitis: long-term results after ERCP, endoscopic sphincterotomy, or ursodeoxycholic acid treatment.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 1702-1707
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy for biliary pancreatitis: an alternative to cholecystectomy in high-risk patients.Gastrointest Endosc. 1994; 40: 573-575
- The effect of sphincterotomy on gallstone formation in the prairie dog.Gastroenterology. 1981; 81: 663-667
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy in acute gallstone pancreatitis: a prospective study of the late outcome.Eur J Surg. 2001; 167: 204-208
Published online: May 28, 2019
☆Presented as an abstract at 40 Congreso Sociedad Española de Endoscopia Digestiva (SEED), Zaragoza, Spain, November 2018.
© 2019 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.