Acute-on-chronic liver failure (ACLF) is an entity comprising an acute deterioration of liver function in cirrhotic patients, associated with organ failure(s) and high short-term mortality. We aimed to identify predictive factors for short-term mortality in patients admitted with ACLF that may benefit most from liver transplantation.
Retrospective analysis of patients admitted in ACLF to a tertiary intensive care unit between 2013 and 2017 was performed. The EASL-CLIF acute-on-chronic liver failure in cirrhosis (CANONIC) criteria were used to define ACLF grade. Multivariable analysis using 28-day mortality as an end-point was performed, including severity-of-disease scores and clinical parameters.
Seventy-seven patients were admitted in ACLF over the study period. The commonest aetiology of liver disease was alcohol related 52/77(68%) and the commonest precipitant of ACLF was variceal haemorrhage 38/77(49%). Overall 28-day mortality was 42/77(55%) [ACLF-(grade)1:3/42(7%); ACLF-2:10/42(24%); and, ACLF-3:29/42(69%); p = 0.002]. On multivariable analysis MELD ≥ 26 [odds ratio(OR) = 11.559; 95% confidence interval(CI):2.820–47.382; p = 0.001], ACLF-3 (OR = 3.287; 95%CI:1.047–10.325; p = 0.042) at admission and requirement for renal replacement therapy (OR = 5.348; 95%CI:1.385–20.645; p = 0.015) were independently associated with 28-day mortality.
Patients admitted with ACLF to intensive care have a high mortality rate. Defined early thresholds at admission can identify patients at the highest risk that may benefit most from liver transplantation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure is a distinct syndrome that develops in patients with acute decompensation of cirrhosis.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: 1426-1437
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2016; 18: 61
- Acute-on chronic liver failure.J Hepatol. 2012; 57: 1336-1348
- Clinical course of acute-on-chronic liver failure syndrome and effects on prognosis.Hepatology. 2015; 62: 243-252
- Liver transplantation for acute on chronic liver failure.J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2017; 7: 247-252
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure: concept, natural history, and prognosis.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2011; 17: 165-169
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012.Intensive Care Med. 2013; 39: 165-228
- A model to predict poor survival in patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts.Hepatology. 2000; 31: 864-871
- Model for end-stage liver disease (MELD) and allocation of donor livers.Gastroenterology. 2003; 124: 91-96
- Elective liver transplant list mortality: development of a United Kingdom end-stage liver disease score.Transplantation. 2011; 92: 469-476
- APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system.Crit Care Med. 1985; 13: 818-829
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure before liver transplantation: impact on posttransplant outcomes.Transplantation. 2011; 92: 952-957
- Live-donor liver transplantation for acute-on-chronic hepatitis B liver failure.Transplantation. 2003; 76: 1174-1179
- Outcomes of living donor liver transplantation for patients with preoperative type 1 hepatorenal syndrome and acute hepatic decompensation.Liver Transpl. 2012; 18: 779-785
- A single institution experience with living donor liver transplantation for acute-on-chronic hepatitis B liver failure.Hepatogastroenterology. 2011; 58: 1267-1273
- Acute kidney injury in cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2008; 48: 2064-2077
- Acute on chronic liver failure-in-hospital predictors of mortality in ICU.J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2018; 8: 144-155
- The challenges of providing renal replacement therapy in decompensated liver cirrhosis.Blood Purif. 2012; 33: 144-148
- Pathophysiological effects of albumin dialysis in acute-on-chronic liver failure: a randomized controlled study.Liver Transpl. 2004; 10: 1109-1119
- Improvement in renal function in hepatorenal syndrome with N-acetylcysteine.Lancet. 1999; 353: 294-295
- Pentoxifylline improves short-term survival in severe acute alcoholic hepatitis: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Gastroenterology. 2000; 119: 1637-1648
- Extracorporeal albumin dialysis with the molecular adsorbent recirculating system in acute-on-chronic liver failure: the RELIEF trial.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 1153-1162
Published online: May 04, 2019
Accepted: April 9, 2019
Received: November 20, 2018
Crown Copyright © 2019 Published by Elsevier Ltd on behalf of Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. All rights reserved.