Mucosal healing (MH) has been proposed as an essential therapeutic goal for treatment of Crohn’s disease (CD) patients. The utility of serum amyloid A (SAA) for prediction of MH in CD patients is lacking.
This study was conducted to evaluate the correlation of SAA with CD-related endoscopic disease activity.
SAA levels in serum samples obtained from CD patients as well as endoscopic findings based on a simple endoscopic score for CD (SES-CD) were assessed in relation to CD activity index (CDAI). The diagnostic ability of MH in correlation with SAA level was evaluated using receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analysis.
Fifty-five patients with CD were enrolled. Mean SAA level was significantly higher in clinical and endoscopic active phases as compared to an inactive phase. SAA level was also significantly correlated with SES-CD (r = 0.64, p < 0.01) and CDAI (r = 0.42, p < 0.01). The area under the ROC curve for SAA level was 0.77 and the optimal cut-off value for SAA to predict MH was 5.9 μg/dl. SAA level was shown to be associated with MH, with a sensitivity of 68% and specificity of 83%.
SAA may be a possible biomarker for evaluating MH in CD patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Maintenance infliximab for Crohn’s disease: the ACCENT I randomized trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1541-1549
- Long-term treatment of rectovaginal fistulas in Crohn’s disease: response to infliximab in the ACCENT II Study.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 2: 912-920
- Infliximab maintenance treatment reduces hospitalizations, surgeries, and procedures in fistulizing Crohn’s disease.Gastroenterology. 2005; 128: 862-869
- Scheduled maintenance treatment with infliximab is superior to episodic treatment for the healing of mucosal ulceration associated with Crohn’s disease.Gastrointest Endosc. 2006; 63: 433-442
- Mucosal healing predicts sustained clinical remission in patients with early-stage Crohn’s disease.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 463-468
- Results from the 2nd Scientific Workshop of the ECCO. I: impact of mucosal healing on the course of inflammatory bowel disease.J Crohns Colitis. 2011; 5: 477-483
- Prognostic significance of endoscopic remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis treated with oral and topical mesalazine: a prospective, multicenter study.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012; 18: 1006-1010
- Beyond remission and mucosal healing in Crohn’s disease: exploring the deep with cross sectional imaging.Dig Liver Dis. 2017; 49: 457-458
- Comparison of three magnetic resonance enterography indices for grading activity in Crohn’s disease.J Gastroenterol. 2017; 52: 585-593
- The influence of anti-TNF therapy on the magnetic resonance enterographic parameters of Crohn’s disease activity.Abdom Imaging. 2015; 40: 2210-2218
- A sonographic lesion index for Crohn’s disease helps monitor changes in transmural bowel damage during therapy.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 12: 2071-2077
- Transmural healing evaluated by bowel sonography in patients with Crohn’s disease on maintenance treatment with biologics.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013; 19: 1928-1934
- Evaluation of deep small bowel involvement by double-balloon enteroscopy in Crohn’s disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 1484-1489
- Fecal immunochemical test versus fecal calprotectin for prediction of mucosal healing in Crohn’s disease.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2016; 22: 1078-1085
- An update on small bowel endoscopy.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2017; 33: 181-188
- Capsule endoscopy for the diagnosis and follow up of Crohn’s disease: a comprehensive review of current status.Ann Gastroenterol. 2017; 30: 168-178
- Laboratory markers in IBD: useful, magic, or unnecessary toys.Gut. 2006; 55: 426-431
- C-reactive protein in Crohn’s disease: how informative is it.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 8: 393-408
- C-reactive protein, an indicator for maintained response or remission to infliximab in patients with Crohn’s disease: a post-hoc analysis from ACCENT I.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 35: 568-576
- Serum amyloid A protein compared with C-reactive protein, alpha 1-antichymotrypsin and alpha 1-acid glycoprotein as a monitor of inflammatory bowel disease.Eur J Clin Invest. 1987; 17: 460-467
- Inflammatory mediators and acute phase proteins in patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.Hepatogastroenterology. 1997; 44: 90-107
- Development of a Crohn’s disease activity index. National Cooperative Crohn’s Disease Study.Gastroenterology. 1976; 70: 439-444
- Development and validation of a new, simplified endoscopic activity score for Crohn’s disease: the SES-CD.Gastrointest Endosc. 2004; 60: 505-512
- Efficacy of concomitant elemental diet therapy in scheduled infliximab therapy in patients with Crohn’s disease to prevent loss of response.Dig Dis Sci. 2015; 60: 1382-1388
- Enteral nutrition for maintaining remission in patients with quiescent Crohn’s disease: current status and future perspectives.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2016; 31: 1-7
- Management of Crohn’s disease in adults.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 465-483
- 3rd European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn’s disease 2016: part 1: diagnosis and medical management.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 3-25
- Oral Pentasa in the treatment of active Crohn’s disease：a meta-analysis of double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 2: 379-388
- Systemic review: the potential influence of mesalazine formulation on maintenance of remission in Crohn’s disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007; 25: 1389-1399
- Treatment guidelines in inflammatory bowel disease: the Japanese perspectives.Dig Dis. 2013; 31: 363-367
- The role of C-reactive protein as an inflammatory marker in gastrointestinal diseases.Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005; 2: 580-586
- Clinical disease activity, C-reactive protein normalisation and mucosal healing in Crohn’s disease in the SONIC trial.Gut. 2014; 63: 88-95
- IL-6 plays a critical role in the synergistic induction of human serum amyloid A (SAA) gene when stimulated with proinflammatory cytokines as analyzed with an SAA isoform real-time quantitative RT-PCR assay system.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004; 314: 363-369
- STAT3 is required for IL-6-gp130-dependent activation of hepcidin in vivo.Gastroenterology. 2007; 132: 294-300
- Essential role of STAT3 in cytokine-driven NF-kappaB-mediated serum amyloid A gene expression.Genes Cells. 2005; 10: 1051-1063
- Analysis of the synovial cells involved in granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor production and gene expression in rheumatoid arthritis and its regulation by IL-1 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha.J Immunol. 1991; 146: 3365-3371
- Transcriptional complex formation of c-Fos, STAT3, and hepatocyte NF-1 alpha is essential for cytokine-driven C-reactive protein gene expression.J Immunol. 2008; 180: 3492-3501
- Comparative study of serum amyloid A protein and C-reactive protein in disease.Clin Sci (Lond). 1985; 68: 233-238
- Comparison of serum amyloid A protein and C-reactive protein concentrations in cancer and non-malignant disease.J Clin Pathol. 1983; 36: 798-803
- Biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis, what is new.J Med Life. 2016; 9: 144-148
- Clinical strategies for amyloid A amyloidosis secondary to rheumatoid arthritis.Mod Rheumatol. 2008; 18: 109-118
- Level of fecal calprotectin correlates with severity of small bowel Crohn’s disease, measured by balloon-assisted enteroscopy and computed tomography enterography.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 15: 56-62
- Fecal calprotectin more accurately predicts endoscopic remission of Crohn’s disease than serological biomarkers evaluated using balloon-assisted enteroscopy.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2017; 23: 2027-2034
- Serum amyloid A as a marker of persistent inflammation and an indicator of cardiovascular and renal involvement in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Mediators Inflamm. 2014; 2014 (Epub ahead of print 2014 Novovenber 27)793628https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/793628
Published online: December 19, 2017
Accepted: December 9, 2017
Received in revised form: December 7, 2017
Received: September 24, 2017
© 2018 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.