A careful endoscopic surveillance of Barrett's oesophagus is warranted to prevent esophageal cancer.
To identify the preferred location of non-circumferential Barrett's oesophagus and associated dysplasia within the esophageal circumference.
We retrospectively reviewed a prospectively maintained database of patients with non-circumferential lesions. The location of metaplastic lesions and dysplastic lesions within the esophageal circumference was identified as on a clock face, and their distribution in the 4 quadrants was compared.
Of overall 443 patients with Barrett's oesophagus, 192 (43%) were eligible for our study. Multiple lesions were diagnosed in 110 (57%) of them, for a total amount of 352 metaplastic areas. Barrett's oesophagus lesions were located significantly more in the posterior wall of the oesophagus (38.4%), rather than in the right wall (28.8%), the anterior wall (22.6%), or the left wall (10.2%) (P < 0.0001). Among all metaplastic lesions, 28 were associated with dysplasia (7.9%), and one with adenocarcinoma (0.3%). Dysplastic lesions were significantly more common in the posterior wall (39.3%) than, respectively, in the anterior wall (35.8%), the right wall (21.4%) or the left wall (3.5%) (P = 0.03).
Our results show that the posterior wall of the oesophagus is the preferential location of both Barrett's oesophagus and associated dysplasia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines on the diagnosis and management of Barrett's oesophagus.Gut. 2014; 63: 7-42
- Prevalence of Barrett's esophagus in the general population: an endoscopic study.Gastroenterology. 2005; 129: 1825-1831
- History, molecular mechanisms, and endoscopic treatment of Barrett's esophagus.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 854-869
- Acid, bile, and CDX: the ABCs of making Barrett's metaplasia.American Journal of Physiology – Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology. 2008; 295: G211-G218
- Obesity is an independent risk factor for GERD symptoms and erosive esophagitis.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2005; 100: 1243-1250
- Diet, lifestyle and gender in gastro-esophageal reflux disease.Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2008; 53: 2027-2032
- The prevalence of suspected Barrett's esophagus in children and adolescents: a multicenter endoscopic study.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2006; 64: 671-675
- Hiatal hernia size, Barrett's length, and severity of acid reflux are all risk factors for esophageal adenocarcinoma.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2002; 97: 1930-1936
- Flow-cytometric and histological progression to malignancy in Barrett's esophagus: prospective endoscopic surveillance of a cohort.Gastroenterology. 1992; 102: 1212-1219
- Surveillance of Barrett's esophagus and mortality from esophageal adenocarcinoma: a population-based cohort study.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014; 109: 1215-1222
- Consensus statements for management of Barrett's dysplasia and early-stage esophageal adenocarcinoma, based on a Delphi process.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 336-346
- Advanced imaging technologies increase detection of dysplasia and neoplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus: a meta-analysis and systematic review.Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013; 11 (e1–2): 1562-1570
- Quality of Barrett's surveillance in the Netherlands: a standardized review of endoscopy and pathology reports.European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2008; 20: 601-607
- Localization of early-stage dysplastic Barrett's lesions in patients with short-segment Barrett's esophagus.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2006; 101: 2666-2667
- Difference in localization of esophageal mucosal breaks among grades of esophagitis.Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2006; 21: 1656-1659
- Circumferential location predicts the risk of high-grade dysplasia and early adenocarcinoma in short-segment Barrett's esophagus.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012; 75: 938-944
- Prospective evaluation of the macroscopic types and location of early Barrett's neoplasia in 380 lesions.Endoscopy. 2007; 39: 588-593
- Safety of a systematic endoscopic biopsy protocol in patients with Barrett's esophagus.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2000; 95: 1152-1157
- The Vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia.Gut. 2000; 47: 251-255
- Dysplasia in short-segment Barrett's esophagus: a prospective 3-year follow-up.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1997; 92: 2012-2016
- Location, location, location: does early cancer in Barrett's esophagus have a preference.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2013; 78: 462-467
- Manometric asymmetry of the lower-esophageal high-pressure zone.American Journal of Digestive Diseases. 1977; 22: 348-354
- Lower esophageal sphincter measurement in four different quadrants in normals and patients with achalasia.Diseases of the Esophagus. 1998; 11: 120-124
- Esophageal peristaltic dysfunction in peptic esophagitis.Gastroenterology. 1986; 91: 897-904
- Predominant nocturnal acid reflux in patients with Los Angeles grade C and D reflux esophagitis.Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2001; 16: 1191-1196
- Nocturnal and daytime esophageal acid exposure in normal-weight, overweight, and obese patients with reflux symptoms.European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2014; 26: 6-10
- Longer inspection time is associated with increased detection of high-grade dysplasia and esophageal adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012; 76: 531-538
- Endoscopic imaging in Barrett's esophagus.Expert Review of Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2015; 9: 475-485
- ACG clinical guideline: diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016; 111: 30-50
Published online: July 16, 2016
Accepted: June 17, 2016
Received: March 16, 2016
© 2016 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.