Cholecystectomy remains the gold standard treatment of cholecystitis. Endoscopic treatment of cholecystitis includes transpapillary gallbladder drainage. Recently, endoscopic ultrasound-guided transmural drainage of the gallbladder (EUS-GBD) has been reported. This study reports the cumulative experience of an international group performing EUS-GBD.
Cases of EUS-GBD from January 2012 to November 2013 from 3 tertiary-care institutions were captured in a registry. Patient demographics, disease characteristics, procedural and clinical outcomes were recorded.
35 patients (15 malignant, 20 benign) were included. Median age was 81 years (SD = 13.76 years), sixteen (46%) were males. Median follow-up was 91.5 days (SD = 157 days). Transmural access was obtained from the stomach (n = 17) or duodenum (n = 18). Stents placed included plastic (n = 6), metal (n = 20), or combination (n = 7). Technical success was achieved in 91.4% (n = 32). Immediate adverse events (14%) included: bleeding, stent migration, cholecystitis and hemoperitoneum. Delayed adverse events (11%) included abscess formation and recurrence of cholecystitis. Long-term clinical success rate was 89%. Stent type and puncture site were not associated with immediate (p = 0.88, p = 0.62), or long-term (p = 0.47, p = 0.27) success.
EUS-GBD appears to be feasible, safe, and effective. Prospective studies are needed to confirm these findings and identify the best technique to use.
Clinical trial registration
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Digestive and Liver Disease
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- TG13 current terminology, etiology, and epidemiology of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis.Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sciences. 2013; 20: 8-23
- Cholecystoduodenal drainage and gallstone removal in a patient with cholecystitis and unresectable cholangiocarcinoma.Endoscopy. 2013; 45: E114-E115
- Endoscopic management of acute cholecystitis.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2013; 23: 453-459
- TG13 indications and techniques for gallbladder drainage in acute cholecystitis (with videos).Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sciences. 2013; 20: 81-88
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy: an alternative to surgical cholecystostomy for acute cholecystitis?.Radiology. 1989; 173: 481-485
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided endoluminal drainage of the gallbladder.Digestive Endoscopy: Official Journal of the Japan Gastroenterological Endoscopy Society. 2014; 26: 525-531
- Drainage of gallbladder fossa fluid collections with endoprosthesis placement under endoscopic ultrasound guidance: a preliminary report of two cases.Endoscopy. 2005; 37: 393-396
- Endoscopic transduodenal drainage of the gallbladder: implications for endoluminal treatment of gallbladder disease.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2007; 65: 735-737
- EUS-guided cholecystenterostomy: a new technique (with videos).Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2007; 66: 582-586
- EUS-guided transmural cholecystostomy as rescue management for acute cholecystitis in elderly or high-risk patients: a prospective feasibility study.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2007; 66: 1008-1012
- Long-term outcomes after endoscopic ultrasonography-guided gallbladder drainage for acute cholecystitis.Endoscopy. 2014; 46: 656-661
- Feasibility and safety of EUS-guided transgastric/transduodenal gallbladder drainage with single-step placement of a modified covered self-expandable metal stent in patients unsuitable for cholecystectomy.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2011; 74: 176-181
- Clinical evaluation of a novel lumen-apposing metal stent for endosonography-guided pancreatic pseudocyst and gallbladder drainage (with videos).Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012; 75: 870-876
- Clinical outcomes of a percutaneous cholecystostomy for acute cholecystitis: a multicentre analysis.HPB: The Official Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association. 2013; 15: 511-516
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy is a definitive treatment for acute cholecystitis in elderly high-risk patients.American Surgeon. 2013; 79: 524-527
- Patient outcomes after treatment with percutaneous cholecystostomy for biliary sepsis.Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2014; 96: 229-233
- Percutaneous biliary drainage in patients with nondilated intrahepatic bile ducts compared with patients with dilated intrahepatic bile ducts.American Journal of Roentgenology. 2010; 195: 851-857
- Emergency cholecystostomy and subsequent cholecystectomy for acute gallstone cholecystitis in the elderly.British Journal of Surgery. 1999; 86: 1521-1525
- Effective use of percutaneous cholecystostomy in high-risk surgical patients: techniques, tube management, and results.Archives of Surgery. 1999; 134 (discussion 31–32): 727-731
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy: who responds?.American Journal of Roentgenology. 1997; 168: 1247-1251
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy for acute cholecystitis in critically ill patients.Surgery. 1997; 121: 398-401
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy for the diagnosis and treatment of acute calculous and acalculous cholecystitis.Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 1995; 6: 629-634
- Treatment of acute cholecystitis in non-critically ill patients at high surgical risk: comparison of clinical outcomes after gallbladder aspiration and after percutaneous cholecystostomy.American Journal of Roentgenology. 2001; 176: 1025-1031
- Percutaneous cholecystostomy in the management of acute cholecystitis.Israel Medical Association Journal. 2003; 5: 170-171
- Gallbladder drainage guided by endoscopic ultrasound.World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010; 2: 203-209
- EUS-guided gall bladder drainage with a lumen-apposing metal stent: a prospective long-term evaluation.Gut. 2016; 65: 6-8
- EUS-guided cholecystoenterostomy with single-step placement of a 7F double-pigtail plastic stent in patients who are unsuitable for cholecystectomy: a pilot study (with video).Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010; 71: 634-640
- Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided cholecystogastrostomy in patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer using anti-migratory metal stents: a new approach.Digestive Endoscopy. 2014; 26: 599-602
- EUS-guided transenteric gallbladder drainage with a new fistula-forming, lumen-apposing metal stent.Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2013; 77: 303-308
- Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided gallbladder drainage: actual technical presentations and review of the literature (with videos).Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sciences. 2011; 18: 282-286
Published online: June 19, 2016
Accepted: May 23, 2016
Received: February 2, 2016
☆This work was accepted and presented as a scientific presentation at Digestive Disease Week – Chicago in May 2014.
© 2016 Editrice Gastroenterologica Italiana S.r.l. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.